Friday, March 10, 2006

Fic: Drabble: Paper Wraps Stone

I just did a quick drabble for neela_ray, based on last nights new episode (UK E4): Paper Wraps Stone. I'll write up thoughts etc on Sunday.

This new ship seems to be inspiring drabbles in a way that no previous ship has. I've always written them, as I think they are a great writing exercise. Trying to pack as much as possible into the strict word count makes you think about what you are trying to express, and how to most effectively do that. Every word needs to add to the meaning: there's no room for slack. So drabbles are great, but Neela and Ray is the first time in years that I've just been dashing them off whenever I have a spare half hour. Strange, n'est pas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to comment on this This new ship seems to be inspiring drabbles in a way that no previous ship has. I've always written them, as I think they are a great writing exercise. Trying to pack as much as possible into the strict word count makes you think about what you are trying to express, and how to most effectively do that. Every word needs to add to the meaning: there's no room for slack. So drabbles are great, but Neela and Ray is the first time in years that I've just been dashing them off whenever I have a spare half hour. Strange, n'est pas?

Yay! Drabbles. I completely agree on their being a good discipline for the writer, and such good forms for considering something very intensely.

I don't know about much and how about what you've written previously. Have you written for live and ongoing canon before? I find what fic bunnies I have beeing either short and in response to canon or cracked out AUS, and I think that's defnitiely a response to dealing with theweekly new canon. Neela/Ray fic in general seems to tend on the short side, though longer than drabbles.

Mags said...

Have you written for live and ongoing canon before? I find what fic bunnies I have beeing either short and in response to canon or cracked out AUS, and I think that's defnitiely a response to dealing with the weekly new canon.
I was writing Buffy fic whilst it was live, although I tended to write things after several more episodes had passed, in order to fit vaguely in. I enjoy the challenge of fitting with canon.

I agree that short fic tends to be more suited to live canon writing: you less likely to be jossed if you're writing in the cracks between canon than writing an epic. I think that is why I am writing one-shots which are only lightly tied to a specific episode. If I did write a longer Neela/Ray story, it would have to be written over the summer break, when there is no new canon.