Monday, March 06, 2006

01.02 Going Home

Or, the one where Carol comes back, and blows out Doug for a guy whose name sounds like a type of pasta. And Rosemary Clooney guests as a batty old dear singing show tunes.

This contains plenty of flashbacks to the pilot so that people know why Carol is freaked and why Doug is being all protective. You know the thing that freaks me out most about early ER? It's not the young Clooney, or young Jerry, or baby Carter. It's the lack of any 'Previously, on ER...'. Is this just because it's on DVD, or did the series just not have them at this stage?

And speaking of young Carter, it's pretty obvious he's not going to end up in surgery, as he's shown as being much better dealing with patients than Benton, who just can't wait to scrub up and get slicin'.

Susan gets roasted by the teaching group, and gets narked with Mark for not supporting her during it.

Ooh, someone talking to someone else as they receive a patient is a standard cliché and this has the first, with Doug trying to talk to Carol. Also, I've noticed that "wanna get some coffee?" is rapidly becoming a subtextual "I fancy you" sign. Mark asks Susan, Doug asks Carol.

I hope the syrupy incidental music ends soon. I know we get some James bloody Blunt in season 12 but bluegh. Especially with the slo-mo and flashback during the welcome back party. Given this is only the third episode, you can't help but think the audience isn't likely to be attached to Carol yet so isn't likely to overlook the schmaltz. When Susan leaves? When Carter leaves? That's the time for the hokey music and slo-mo...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got into the show a couple of series later, so I haven't watched these episodes properly. On the 'Previously' thing - give them a chance, they're only a few episodes in. What would freak me out, I suspect would be the youth of Carter and the nurses and assorted background staff.

And I compleely agree on the embarassing vileness that was playing James Blunt in s12.

Mags said...

Young Carter is both freaky and yet...not. Noah Wyle does age over the years - and there's the stubble and beard at one point, IIRC, but he doesn't fill out massively and his face doesn't alter much. Unlike Goran who, when you see early episodes, is a thin strip of a thing with no jaw to speak of and you can't quite believe the guy will end up being as beautiful as he is.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Wyle has and will always have a boyish quality. I picked on him because he was around for so long. I obviously need to catch Visnjic's early episodes again, because I'm in a state of disbelief at his not being gorgeous.