I watched this at 1.30am on Thursday night, having been out having cocktails till midnight. It was just as well I remembered there is the late night repeat as the 2nd chance Sunday on E4 wasn't on, nor is it on C4 tonight. WTF?
Carter in Dafur can be summed up quite quickly: Carter is in Darfur where it is very poor and very dangerous. Carter being Carter has to whizz around in jeeps saving individual patients instead of doing his bloody job at the understaffed hospital. Seriously, how patients weren't seen at the hospital whilst he was off being Johnny Hero? Admittedly, showing him struggling day after day with the lack of resources would have been less dramatic, but this, well, I struggled to think it was good. Hawkeye Piece can go off rescuing individuals in a warzone every now and then because that was in the context of an entire series set in a warzone: ER is set at County General, so straight away this episode looks like war-tourism. Yes, consciousness about Darfur should be raised but showing an American being pointlessly heroic may not be the best way.
Besides, you'd think he had learnt from all that business back in season 10 to behave rather differently. He nearly got Luka killed, FFS.
One tiny snippet within all that is that Carter and Kem are struggling with their relationship. Which hints that maybe the future will have a return to the Carter/Abby/Luka thing.
OK, that's all the Carter stuff out the way.
Kerry: Clemente is a great doctor with personal issues which is not uncommon in the ER.
Heh. Heheh. She nailed it. I love Kerry.
Clemente is technically back, although he spends all his time being either quizzed by the cops or at Jodie's bedside. The way he sticks by her is adoreable, and suggests he is hopelessly drawn to her. I get the feeling the cops aren't trying too hard to believe Clemente didn't do it. What happened to innocent until proven guilty.
Luka still has a problem with Clemente. I'm not sure why, since Clemente is no longer crowding Luka's patch. Besides, shouldn't Luka be more concerned about Abby and the Baby? I love that the Baby has become an open secret.
KJ's dad is back. Surprise, he's been drinking again but obviously expects Pratt to bail him out. Is Pratt crazy? That was rhetorical. Pratt is just stupid.
Bobby, Jodie's insane cop husband, is making calls to Clemente in a kind of "you screwed her so I'm going to screw you" way. This seems a bit dumb to me as it means there will be a cell phone record of where Bobby is calling Clemente from. And for a guy allegedly in New Jersey, his phone shouldn't really be in Chicago.
Is it me or are we in a bizarre slump? I mean, the Jodie and Clemente storyline should engage me way more than it does. Maybe it's just because I read too many spoilers so am instead waiting for later episodes? This is why I try to avoid reading spoilers, because it makes the whole thing less immediate and interesting. So. No more spoilers. No. Spoilers are bad, m'kay?
Monday, April 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you for this, as I completely missed it, being unable to watch E4 or C4, dependent on S4C (which has always been a bit stingy with airing ER). Maybe Easter was affecting the schedules? Doesn't sound as if I missed much.
Carter and Kem are struggling with their relationship. Which hints that maybe the future will have a return to the Carter/Abby/Luka thing.
Well, I didn't think that Carter/Kem were going to be the most viable relationship,given the way that they handled the loss of their child as a couple, not to mention other stresses on their relationship. But if the Triangle of Doom returns, I will cry. I plumped for Luka/Abby, although there was a long, long time, when I just wanted them all to be friends and not bother me with their Love Triangle of Doom.
It may be spoiler anticipation, but Carter, having left, is not going to be that engaging a strand, Clemente is a new character, larger than life, so, again, I can see why it would be comparatively unengaging. Pratt has never been my favourite character, and I find his family issues more interesting than this being a responsible young black male pillar of the community contrast to his friend role model for KJ thing. Sometimes, you can tell which are NOT the sweeps episodes.
Anyway, thanks again, I'll be less likely to go 'huh, what?' tonight.
Post a Comment