Monday, April 03, 2006

12.13 Body & Soul

Oooh, no "previously on...". This is going to be one of those ones designed to make us feel all teary and impressed at how dramatic in an emotional sense ER can be.

It's a guy with Lou Gerig's disease. Oh, it's a Big Name Actor one, as well. I'm not a massive fan of these kinds of episodes. They just seem so show-offy.

I'm also not keen on the fact that C4/E4 have started going into the advert break straight after the title sequence like we're American or something.

Ray and Sam are wearing their coats over their scrubs/lab coats. Actually prof already mentioned this. My theory, based on the fact others are wearing heavy sweaters under their lab coats, is that something is wrong with the heating. This would fit with the guy showing up in summer when the air conditioning is out. No wonder he has a low opinion of County.

Two years back Neela couldn't stand surgeons because "they are arrogant and can't relate to people unless they are unconscious". Ha.

Oh great, it's a grumpy guy with a terminal condition. As opposed to the "going gentle into that good night" type. It's like there are only two types. Oh, trauma 1.

I notice Abby overrides consent issues whilst Ray - Ray who used to be very very casual about consent, what with the organ harvest thing, and the surrogate mother, and we're not even going to mention Zoe - is the one trying to stop her.


....Is it wrong to be very bored by the Big Dramatic Death episode? It's like all the stuff which was going somewhere last week (Abby/Luka and the baby, and Neela's fight with Mikey) as been put on hold. The one bit I like is when he drops the molecule model with his right hand whilst talking to student Abby i.e. before he's been diagnosed. That was a nice touch.

What is it about ice-skating=freedom in American drama? I remember this theme being in an episode of Buffy, in which she goes skating as a symbol of her urge to be freed from her Slayer destiny. And here it is again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm also not keen on the fact that C4/E4 have started going into the advert break straight after the title sequence like we're American or something. Forgot about that. C4 got slapped down for all the adverts on Lost...and it's made no discernable difference. I expect the openng credits to lead to something.

....Is it wrong to be very bored by the Big Dramatic Death episode? It's like all the stuff which was going somewhere last week (Abby/Luka and the baby, and Neela's fight with Mikey) as been put on hold. You and me both. I'm not sure if having him criss cross with the characters in the past to make Significant Comments wasnt a mistake, because as with the Neela snark at surgeons, it was a bit of a non-revelation. It felt self-serving and is obviously going to be less angaging than ongoing plot developments. olu, like you say, it's a stroy we've seen before.