Sunday, May 07, 2006

12.18 Strange Bedfellows

Whoa! Hello hot Neela and Ray tension! Wowser. I mean, yes, I have been shipping them, but I wasn't expecting that scene in the hallway, or down by the taxi, to have such punch to it. Sizzling.

The Gallants come to visit Neela and are textbook parents-in-law from hell. Not because they are judging Neela but because they are making her an unwilling confidente to their secret marital breakdown. Given Neela is clearly starting to think "WTF have I done, getting married?", with the whole Mikey not telling her stuff and Ray being all nekkid and caring, having a supposed great relationship fall apart in front of her can't be good. Hence her fleeing the scene before any potential infidelity could happen. And just, just, in time. I love the way Ray leans forward as Neela admits to sleeping in his shirt (and, hey! Passing in the Night has been Jossed!), and that he comes close to actually saying what he feels.

If you look at it from Ray's POV, he's developed a crush on his best friend and, on discovering the crush, she has walked away. Neela never says anything beyond "You know why" when he asks why she is moving out. He knows he fancies her but has he even got a clue that the reason she's running is not just because of his feelings, but because she has also realised she is getting way too close to him. She likes to sleep in his t-shirt (and it was a detail she hid from him, like a secret hugged close as she fell asleep alone each night) which is pretty damn intimite. No wonder everyone assumed they had slept together.

Also, other things happened.

Oh, alright. Pratt played around on Olivia and got caught. Luka and Abby had a mini-crisis over his urge to go to Africa again which Luka solved by sending Pratt instead. Can he even do that? Can you imagine the conversation with Kerry when he explains why his team is down one doctor? "He's in Africa. Yes, the same Africa I nearly died in. Yes, with Carter, who also nearly died there. I'm sure he will be fine." I can imagine Kerry's opinion on that.

I did love how the Luka/Abby scene was played when she decided she just had to tell him how she felt. I loved the way Maura made Abby stutter and gabble and tie herself up in knots of not wanting to tell Luka what to do but also wanting to say how she felt. It was a very real emotive scene.

As was the sexy nearly-kiss at the end. Whew! There are some good actors on this show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chemistry between the actors is a big part of the reason why I'm loving how Neela/Ray is playing out. The little dip of the head!!

Excellent point about looking at it from Ray's perspective. I kind of didn't give him his dues, forgetting he wouldn't be privy to what the audience is. She has been oblique enough that he wouldn't be able to piece things together and would see it as Neela pushing him away because he's given himself away rather than fleeing. I'd glazed over the fact that what is obvious to me wouldn't be obvious to him. Okay.

Also, other things happened. Heh. Yes. I couldn't even be bothered to write it out, because there was this whole rage at Luka even considering going to Darfur, which dissipated while watching the ep.

I would have thought that whatever convo Luka has with Kerry, his trump card will be that Carter asked him first - Kerry could have been down her chief of the ER.

Totally agree with you on the acting.

By the way, do you think they're writing Morris out? It occurred to me that they've been giving him so much random ne ep alone stuff, and removing him may well add to who'll be chief resident tension for the three musketeers - if Pratt gets to make attending.

Mags said...

The little dip of the head!!
I *know*!!! Aw! Poor Ray!

She has been oblique enough that he wouldn't be able to piece things together and would see it as Neela pushing him away because he's given himself away rather than fleeing.
I think so. Although I'm still not quite sure what Neela is feeling, beyond 'confused'.

By the way, do you think they're writing Morris out?
He does seem a bit of a spare wheel, doesn't he? And one of the musketeers suddenly being senior would give it a bit of new tension. I feel like they are running out of people for Luka to be fighting with!